David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Default splitting tracks in sound forge - avoiding clicks?

"XQJ37" wrote in message om...
(CH) wrote in message . com...
(XQJ37) wrote in message . com...
hello pro audio people
i use sound forge all the time for splitting up tracks. for example
when i record a concert on tape then prepare it for cd. my problem is
when i split a track during crowd noise before a song starts, after i
burn it to cd, maybe
50% of the time, i hear a click when the tracks move from one to
another when i listen to the cd. if i copy the files back to my
computer and rejoin them, there is no click. i have analyzed store
bought cds that have songs which segue and it seems there is no
particular spot that they split them, yet there is never a problem
with a click when you listen. is my burner adding the click?
is there a special point in the wave file where you should split the
tracks?
thanks for any help!
-jon

When you split the large file into smaller files are you creating the
splits at zero crossing points? Not sure if that's it, but it could
be.
-CH

i have experienced clicks even when i hit a zero point.
when i analyze store bought cds with segues it seems that
they don't always hit on a zero point. someone told me to
try cd archetect. that may solve it. but otherwise i really
like soundforge.

Architect is a sister program to Forge. The newer version is cumbersome
and gives the user too darn many unecessary options - but after the majority
of the editing work is done in Forge, the files are moved to Architect in order
to burn. At that stage, crossfades between files can be performed and IDs
placed where you choose. Burning DAO will usually prevent the symptoms
that Clive describes, however, accidentally placing a marker so that the
audio un-mutes on a voltage higher than near zero will cause the pop as
well if you are searching by ID rather than doing a continuous listen.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com