Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Frequencies covered by noise cancellation

On 6/8/2009 12:05 AM Richard Crowley spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Hmm; that seems counterintuitive. Not disputing you, but I thought
that only positive (i.e., same-phase) signals would cause that kind of
feedback. An inverted signal should (nearly) cancel the original
signal, n'est-ce pas? What am I missing here?

The space inside the headphone forms a resonant cavity
and a broadband microphone - amplifier-speaker system
would seek the most resonant frequency within milliseconds.
Anyone who has ever operated a sound reinforcement
(PA) system knows the effect.

Noise cancellation systems work by sampling the waveform
and independently synthesizing an inverted copy of the noise
waveform.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control

Well, I don't trust Wikipedia as far as one can throw it, but I trust
you, so I'll take your word for it.