Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Frequencies covered by noise cancellation

On 6/7/2009 10:04 PM Richard Crowley spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Mr.T spake thus:
and reinject a perfectly matched inverted copy in exactly the same
spot,

Trivially easy, no? A simple phase inverter oughta do the trick.

No. Because it will almost instantly turn into a closed-loop
feedback oscillator and likely deafen the wearer. If it were
as easy as simple signal inversion, we would have had noise
cancelling headphones decades sooner.

Hmm; that seems counterintuitive. Not disputing you, but I thought that
only positive (i.e., same-phase) signals would cause that kind of
feedback. An inverted signal should (nearly) cancel the original signal,
n'est-ce pas? What am I missing here?