Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Frequencies covered by noise cancellation

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 11:14:17 +1000, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
Phones that isolate the HF well also tend to deal with the bottom end
without resort to active cancelling.

Not so, LF is a lot harder to absorb than HF.

You don't absorb it, you block it, which is not the same. Stiffness
and a bit of mass does the job.

Solid concrete headphones perhaps?

Stiffness is all that is needed - not concrete.

Fact is NC headphones were invented to reduce LF noise because other methods
weren't satisfactory for many people.

No, they were invented because someone could. They then fulfilled a
male need for gadgets. I haven't done the data mining, but I'm willing
to bet that a good closed back or ear bud (Etymotic et al) provides as
good if not better LF isolation than a NC.