Posted to rec.audio.tech
Harlan Messinger Harlan Messinger is offline

Default Frequencies covered by noise cancellation

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Harlan Messinger" wrote in message
I've got a pair of Sony MDR-NC6 noise-canceling headphones. They do a
great job of removing the low, rumbling sounds, like the office copier or
the continuous roar on a plane. On the other hand, on a plane, they do
virtually nothing about the higher-frequency airplane sounds (hissing,
whining), and they add their own hiss.

I asked someone selling expensive Bose headphones at Denver Airport about
whether their phones cover the higher frequency ranges, but he turned out
not to be informed on such a technical topic.

Is this issue with my Sony phones normal--are only the lower frequencies
targeted by today's noise-canceling products? Or are there products that I
can rely on to cancel a wider range of frequencies and, ideally don't
introduce significant noise of their own?

Harlan,
For the reasons given in this thread, there is absolutely nothing that
will cancel higher frequencies. User satisfaction with these products is
greatest with jet aircraft, because there is a specific low frequency
content with which active noise cancellation is very effective. They are
largely ineffective in other kinds of transport, such as trains and subways,
where high frequency clattering and impact sounds are present.

Ah, OK. Thanks to all of you who replied for your helpful explanations.
I understand now where the shortcomings of noise cancellation lie. I
will switch my attention over to passive noise insulation.