Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

Default electret, ribbon, and eq

a-l wrote:
"Let me add an interesting "rule of thumb" for limited frequency range:
Multiplying the LF and HF -3dB numbers should come out to about 600,000.
For example 30Hz to 20KHz = 600,000. In the days of 5KHz Telco loops, we
would use a 120Hz high-pass. The result? A natural sounding bass-treble
balance. Small box radios and TVs that can't produce much below 100Hz
benefit from a 6KHz low pass.

????

please explain how you go from 600,000 to 120 hz

I never heard of this rule of thumb before, but--

I get it. So 120 X 5000 equals 600,000 and if a telephone is
200Hz-3kHz it still = 600,000