Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default LP vs CD - Again. Another Perspective

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:19:56 -0800, ScottW wrote
(in article ):

On Jan 30, 11:37=A0am, Scott wrote:
On Jan 30, 7:22=A0am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Rockinghorse Winner"
wrote in

I think the difference is definitely in production. Some
CD's I own, like Buena Vista Social Club, are just
spectacular.
It seems when the producers want to make a
great sounding CD, they can.

That says it all. No LP can truely be great sounding except in the
imaginations of those very few people who look on a medium that is hobb=

led
by relatively massive amounts of audible noise and distoriton as being
beneficial.

You know I offered to put this claim to the test under blind
conditions and you declined to be subjected to such a test. Until such
a time that you are willing to subject yourself to such a test under
blind conditions I'm going to have to conclude this is pure bias. I'll
make the offer again. Using a high end two chanel playback system we
can play a variety of recordings sourced from various CDs, SACDs and
LPs of my chosing but the LP versions have to be sourced from my
equipment, You, under blind conditions have to identify the LP sourced
samples based on their audible distortion and their inability to
"sound great." You can bring a sample of your own that you consider a
to be great sounding so we can have some reference of you taste in
sound quality. I am willing to bet you will fail miserably in such a
test.

How long are the "samples"? I think this could be a very difficult
test with some samples of relative short duration which has fairly
high recording levels.
But play a track through from silent lead in to exit which includes
very quiet passages which don't completely mask the noise and I think
I'll be able to pass that test more often than not.
That doesn't mean I don't think vinyl can sound great, but greatness
is in the ear of the beholder.

ScottW

Assuming the LP is quiet enough, this could be done. I have a recently
re-mastered British Decca pressing of De Falla's 'Three-Cornered Hat' ballet
with Ansermet and Le Orchestre de la Suisse-Romande - a very famous recording
known for it's great sound (the London CD release a number of years ago,
sounds terrible by comparison). This pressing is so quiet that I suspect that
it would make a digital vs analog shoot-out very interesting. The problem
with most LPs, however, is that most have at least a few ticks and pops, even
records in very good shape. That makes it easy to tell analog from digital
even if otherwise they sound identical or even if the LP sounds significantly
better than the CD of the same performance.