Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default LP vs CD - Again. Another Perspective

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:30:13 -0800, Rockinghorse Winner wrote
(in article ):

* It may have been the liquor talking, but
Kele wrote:

I agree with you; the rips (WAVs) I make from vinyl album to CD-R
sound better than store bought CDs to me. I don't have new music on
album so I can't say that the base on albums can go as low as store
bought late model CDs. I'm curious about that with recent music on a
good vynal playback system. I can hear that my CD-R rips are a little
compressed sounding compared to the album itself, but most store
boughts still fall short of as punchy live sounding. My guess is that
too much compression is applied to current CD music, or the media/
playback is doing it - not sure.

I think the difference is definitely in production. Some CD's I own, like
Buena Vista Social Club, are just spectacular. It seems when the producers
want to make a great sounding CD, they can.

*R* *H*

Indeed they can. Witness the JVC XRCDs. Expensive, but good. The problem is
that for various (perceived) economic and/or political (as in corporate
politics and copyright law, not governmental politics) reasons, the record
companies don't seem to want to give us that which the medium is capable.