Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kele Kele is offline

Default Having a Breakdown

Thank you again, Audio Empire... The Adcom Service Center you
provided a link to isn't even listed on Adcom's own site. Yama's
looks like the real deal and half as far from where I live as the
place in Jersey that Adcom would have me contact. BTW, I=92ve been
sending queries to all seemingly high-end stereo dealers here with no
recommendation for a repair person locally. I hear you that it=92s
become specialized [and I'll add: and/or they don=92t have a good after
sale program and/or there actually aren=92t any here]. I know you
laughed when I said =93high-end=94 referring to fixing my Adcom =96 that=92=
ok.

I read and will do so again your description of DC voltage in the
signal path. I'm still processing. You've been very generous with
your replies, much appreciated. I'll be so bold and ask you one more
thing because of my current situation of not being able to proceed
with sending the defective pre-amp anywhere at this time. Since
reading you, I turned everything off, but would like to continue using
the stereo for now with the Dolby off (bypassed). Here's my
question... If there is no source playing and I turn the Master
volume knob way up and the speaker base cones don't move or emit sound
at all, can I continue to use the stereo until I save more pennies?
This is how it appears with Dolby off - no abnormal speaker movement.

I can fill in with everything you've already written to me about this,
so I'll understand a Yes or No response.

No =3D DC is still transferring and frying my circuits; you're gambling
with the life of other components. Yes =3D There is a power supply
problem, but it only manifests itself when using the Dolby chip
(basically the Dolby chip or it=92s power circuit is creating the DC off-
set); it=92s ok to use cautiously with Dolby off until qualified repairs
can be performed.

When I do get it fixed, I=92ll post here my experience.

On Dec 2, 12:21=A0pm, Audio Empire wrote:
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:18:00 -0800, Kele wrote
(in article ):

Thank you Audio Empire. =A0Your were so quick in responding, part 2 of
mine came after your last comment. =A0I will head your warning and
advice. =A0I'll try to find a Pro service person(s) to look at the pre-
amp; know of any?

Unfortunately, not really. One of the downsides of today's electronics
revolution is that more often than not, products are so specialized that =

only
the maker can fix them when they break. The days of the repair shop down =

the
street who can fix your TV or your amplifier are mostly gone.

You are going to have to find an authorized factory service center for yo=

ur
product. Did you say it was an Adcom? If so, I'd start he

http://www.yamasinc.com/adcom_service.htm

Don't know these folks, have no financial interest, etc. Just a suggestio=

n of
a starting place. =A0