Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Solder (again)

On 5/02/2018 7:54 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
geoff wrote:

-------------

But what if I didn't clean off the lead-free ?

** When replacing components, it is easy enough to clean up the old
Pb free solder and use fresh 60/40 to get a shiny and reliable joint.
Same goes for cracked solder work that plagues so much gear theses days.

Short of abrading off the pads with a glass-fibre scratcy-brush-pencil
thingy (don't ya hate those invisible shards that stick in yer fingers
?), always will be a remaining tinning of whatever came first.

** IME, using flux impregnated "solder wick" does the job well enough.

BTW:

I only discovered fibre pens last year and am still discovering good uses.
Cleaning up green corrosion on PCB tracks from leaking Ni-Cd memory batteries is one - then you need to clean the residue off with a PCB cleaner spray.

They are amazing, even on gold-plated stuff can be controlled so as to
not cause (too much) damage.

Not as coarse as brass or steel ones. But the minute fragments that
crumble off get everywhere, and even days later can end up embedded in
digits and palms, and seem impossible to find/remove. But as so short
they seem to find their own way out after a half-day or so.

geoff