Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Solder (again)

geoff wrote:

-------------

But what if I didn't clean off the lead-free ?

** When replacing components, it is easy enough to clean up the old
Pb free solder and use fresh 60/40 to get a shiny and reliable joint.
Same goes for cracked solder work that plagues so much gear theses days.

Short of abrading off the pads with a glass-fibre scratcy-brush-pencil
thingy (don't ya hate those invisible shards that stick in yer fingers
?), always will be a remaining tinning of whatever came first.

** IME, using flux impregnated "solder wick" does the job well enough.

BTW:

I only discovered fibre pens last year and am still discovering good uses.
Cleaning up green corrosion on PCB tracks from leaking Ni-Cd memory batteries is one - then you need to clean the residue off with a PCB cleaner spray.

...... Phil