David Satz

Eric K. Weber wrote:

The following small diaphram solutions do exist....

Sennheiser MKH30 fig-8 MKH40 card or MKH50 hypercard
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm.nsf/root/02872
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm.nsf/root/02645
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm.nsf/root/03109

Schoeps also has small diaphragm figure 8..
http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/figure-8.html
http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/ms-stereo.html#msoutdoor

It's significant that these are not only small-diapragm designs but also
_single-diaphragm_ designs. And let's not forget the Neumann KM 120:

http://www.neumann.com/infopool/mics...p?ProdID=km100

Oddly I've never heard from anyone who has ever used it--and I've
asked around repeatedly. Here goes again: If anyone here has used
this microphone, could you please comment on its sound? I sometimes
use spaced (!) figure-8s for stereo vocal recording, and can imagine
that a response characteristic as shown in Neumann's diagrams might
be useful for that application, or at least worth trying.

_Dual-diaphragm_ small-diaphragm mikes with a selectable figure-8
pattern would include the Neumann KM 56, KM 88 and KM 86. I've used
KM 86s and KM 88s as figure-8 microphones and preferred the KM 88; the
KM 86 is very bright, even harsh off axis when used as a figure-8.

But I chickened out and sold my KM 88s this past year. One accident
with their fragile nickel membranes and poof, it's all over--no original
replacement capsules are available any more, and I'm not interested in
"reskinned" capsules.