Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Andrew Jute KISS 194

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 7:40:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm interested in this speaker. Anyone has built one and has the plan to share with me.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+speaker+plans

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+Speaker+Plans

There are dozens of horn plans available on-line, pretty much all of them infinitely better than the design you have linked. Pick the one that strikes your fancy and try it out. BUT: There are some issues with such speakers:

a) They do tend to be extremely efficient, so they do lend themselves to low-powered amplifiers. That is about the single most positive thing that may be written about them.

b) Making good (and full) sound is about moving air. Moving air requires energy and surface area. At the one extreme of this relationship is the horn speaker with (a) tiny driver(s) driven by a low-powered source relying on the baffles and fold of the horn to further amplify the sound - much as an ear trumpet in reverse, or an old-fashioned acoustic phonograph horn. At the other end are planar speakers with multiple square feet (cm) of surface area driven by brute-force amplifiers that can blow out a candle at a couple of feet (not really, but you get the picture).

c) You will find, as you do your research, that horn speakers can be spectacular for very limited sorts of signal - Gregorian Chant, solo voice, solo limited to mid range instruments - guitar, flute, and so forth. But for the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony or Kiri Te Kanawa doing Exultate Jubilate, not hardly.

d) Horns are expensive for real-estate. Either they take up a good deal of floor space, or they are quite tall, or they require very careful placement, any one, two or all three. Perhaps not as difficult to place as some planar speakers - 6 feet of height can be awkward - but typically more so than conventionally designed speakers, either "bookshelf" or "floor standing".

e) Making horn speakers about the most inflexible and limited speakers on the planet, such that unless one uses them as proof of concept, they will make any audiophile acutely unhappy in short order *UNLESS* listening is limited to those (very) few things they do extremely well.

f) Klipsch made/makes excellent horns speakers. However they use multiple drivers and require specific placement to deliver clean, full-range sound. They are also costly as they create that sound legitimately rather than relying on passive amplification.

http://cdn.soundandvision.com/images...?itok=BaWjcUyF

Whenever I get the temptation to indulge in horn speakers, I lie down until it goes away.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA