John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Allison[_3_] View Post
"John Byrns"

Awesome, 26 Watts from a pair of 6V6s is pretty impressive!

** Fraid it is quite commonplace.

Fender amps like this example from 1963 did the same.

http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20h...a763_schem.pdf

Note the use of -35V grid bias.

.... Phil
Thanx for that link Phil. I'm always amazed at how these guitar pickers keep their stuff running with the OP section at these gross overvoltages. That particular amp & many others are in 'The Tube Amp Book' by Aspen Pitman along with 463 pages of other amps. Every page different. My copy is the 4th Edition, got it about 10 years ago. It is a great resource for anyone working on tube or hybrid amps.

JJ claims to have a better 6V6GT version, see it here-

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets69.html

Has anyone tried JJ?

About 20 years ago I bought some Russian 6L6GCs for use in a PP UL amp running 450 volts B+. They did not last long. The construction was the old kind using the glass press for the leads, not the button base used in the 1950s version. I don't think the vacuum was too good either.

My thoughts anyway, Cheers, John