Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

Default What is it?

In article ,
"Phil Allison" wrote:

"John Byrns"

Awesome, 26 Watts from a pair of 6V6s is pretty impressive!

** Fraid it is quite commonplace.

Fender amps like this example from 1963 did the same.

http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20h...m/fenderamps/d
eluxe_reverb_aa763_schem.pdf

Note the use of -35V grid bias.

I note also the use of 415 volts on the screens!

In any case this amp is a wimp compared with John's amp as the Fender only does
22 Watts.

And John's amp uses real 6V6s while your Fender uses 6V6GTs.

Using 6V6s in this fashion may be "commonplace" in guitar amps however I doubt
that it is all that common in straight audio amps as used in peoples parlors.

Fender pushes the poor little 6V6GTs within an inch of their life running class
AB1, while John uses a more sophisticated class AB2 circuit which is easier on
the poor little tubes.

Not being a Guitar guy, having built only one guitar amp in my entire life, I
find Fenders model numbering/naming scheme somewhat confusing as the model name
and number parts apparently must be considered together to arrive at the correct
schematic. Looking just at the number part, aa763, I find Fender amps using PP
6V6GTs, PP 6L6GCs, and PPP 6L6GCs ranging in power from 22 Watts to 85 Watts.

--
Regards,

John Byrns