John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
Very interesting cct, is the load 8k?!

Jaz
In order to take advantage of Class AB2 the loadline needs to be steeper than Class AB1. Otherwise the load simply bumps up against the diode line on the plate characteristics & no more power is available. I found by experiment this particular hookup worked best with a 6.8 K loadline.

Refer to the 6V6GTA composite plate family. These are for Eg2 of 250 volts, but demonstrate well the problem.

I usually set the loadline steeper than optimum. That is because in a real application the load is not a resistor but rather a loudspeaker. That would put an elliptical loadline on the amplifier, often several times the speaker nominal R.

It has been shewan by some that the steeper loadline also reduces 3H.

Cheers, John
Attached Images