Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default the are only two kinds of amplifiers

"dizzy" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:27:59 GMT, dizzy wrote:

I briefly owned a Mac preamp. I looked inside, and was disgusted by
the cheapness, at that price level. Cheap pots on all controls except
volume, cheap power supply, ancient op amps through-out. All show, no
go.

I neglected to mention that it used 5% resistors throughout. I guess
1 cent 1% resistors are too spendy to use in a McIntosh preamp that
retailed for $1,500. It might have added $1 to the bill of materials.

What about the Gain Card amps? 9 parts, approx $50.00 cost for the DIYer,
much less for someone buying in bulk, sold for $1500.00 or thereabouts from
47 Lab.