Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Seeking help on sound card !

"pg" wrote in message

Hello to everyone !

I am here to seek advise from all the gurus here.

I am in the process of building my own intel core-4
machine, and I am thinking of getting a brand new sound
card for it. My current soundcard, the one in my old
machine, is Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro.

My budget for the new sound card is $750, while I can get
anther X-Fi Elite Pro, I do not see the point. What I am
looking for is a sound card that is at least as good as
X-Fi Elite Pro, can do input and output at 48-bits / 384
KHz.

I compose music, and that is a very taxing stuff for
sound card. I need the best sound card that I can afford
so I won't have to worry about anything when I do music
composing. I need your advise as to which sound card I
should purchase.

If you are like the other composers I know, you are a heavy user of
MIDI-generated sounds.

Gaming-type sound cards such as the X-Fi are a good choice for you, because
they generally have the best MIDI synths of most kinds of audio interfaces.

Another option is to use software to generate the musical sounds that you
use for listening to your compositions. These can be as simple or as
complex as you might imagine. AFAIK, software MIDI generators will work with
the simplest, cheapest audio interfaces around.

Bottom line, I really can't see any benefits to an audio interface that
delivers audio at 48 bits and 384 Ksamples per second for your, or any other
audio purpose.

BTW, when you say 384 KHz, do you mean 384 bits per second, or 384 samples
per second?