Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default music ID recommendations?

On 5/06/2019 10:05 AM, JBI wrote:
On 6/4/19 4:56 PM, geoff wrote:
On 5/06/2019 7:36 AM, JBI wrote:
Long story short, I have a bunch of songs I recorded off of an
Italian radio station.Â* I really like the music, but had no idea of
the name of the songs.Â* Now I don't have a smart phone or tablet, so
I can't use apps to help ID songs.Â* What I have done is use both
audiotag.info and midomi.com, along with watzatsong.com so far, but
results, even with all of these, have been limited.Â* I've actually
had the best results from midomi.Â* Nothing from audiotag.

Overall, the results have been disappointing with perhaps 20% of the
songs identified.Â* I have my audio output from the speakers channeled
into the mic so I was able to use midomi (this was so I could play
the MP3's instead of trying to sing or hum).Â* I also have MP3's from
the radio station that I recorded.

So, what are some recommendations here for better results?Â* I run a
Linux desktop online, but I can fire up Win 10.Â* I understand there's
Cordana or something that might be able to help ID the songs.Â* Is it
worth the trouble over what I have tried so far?

I think one of the reasons I'm having trouble is because, when a song
has been discovered, it has mostly been and instrumental done by an
Italian composer/ artist.Â* Much of what I am looking for are
instrumentals of popular songs.Â* There is also techno/ new age, which
none of the music recognition sites seem to recognize very well.

Anyway, any help would be welcome.Â* I have referred some people to
the watzatsong page where I posted most of what I am looking for and
I could here at request.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe move into the current millennium and get a cheap smartphone.
Shazam has always worked for me, but admittedly not with Italian pop
as the focus.

You might just find that, apart from making or receiving phone and
text calls, there are many other useful applications for audio,
musical, and technically-interested users.

geoff

Thanks, but no thanks (regarding smartphone).Â* Well, I just tried
something called Musixmatch on Win 10.Â* Besides jumping through sign ups
with Microsoft, I don't understand it.Â* Looks like I'm supposed to add
lyrics or some such thing, not what I am looking for.Â* I also fired up
Cordana and she didn't recognize any songs, assuming I was doing it
correctly (can she hear what's being played on Media Player or am I
supposed to hold the mic up to the speaker?).Â* Then I read that Cordana
no longer recognizes songs, so who knows.Â* Just started and about to
call it quits.Â* There's no guarantee that even with a smartphone that I
would get the songs ID.Â* I *think* this Musixmatch I tried is supposed
to have the most comprehensive lyrical database.Â* It seemed to say
something about downloading unknown songs as I played them, but
presented nothing.Â* So who knows.

Maybe post a link to a sample song and I'll give it a try.

Shazam analyses the actual melody (+ ???) rather than needing lyrics.

geoff