Codifus

DOA wrote:
When I don't have anything playing and just a bit of volume I can hear
a hiss from my speakers. But thats only if i put my ear up to it(2
inches away). But its more evident if I have the volume up to max. Then
I can hear it. Its not extrememly loud but its there. Is that normal on
all speakers? Or do I need to get better connectors for the speaker
wire? Now to reiterate I don't have anything playing. just turining the
volume knob. What do you think? Is there a problem? thanks for your
time.

It's not the speakers that are causing that, it's the amplifier. You're
hearing the switiching distortion associated with Class A-B amplifiers.
The switiching distortion is usually very small when compared to the
audio signal. If you had a Class A amplifier connected to your speakers
you would here nothing at all, even at full volume. Class A design
virtually eliminates switching distortion. The drawback to class A is
that amps of that design consume alot of power and generate alot of heat.

Nothing to worry about. It's normal.

CD