Posted to rec.audio.high-end
rtweed rtweed is offline

Default New DAC well worth a listen

On Jul 7, 8:20=A0pm, ScottW wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:32am, Audio Empire wrote:

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 05:24:09 -0700, rtweed wrote
(in article ):

I've just had delivery of a Beresford Bushmaster DAC: Stanley
Beresford's latest and greatest.

Just to be clear - I have no commercial relationship with Stanley's
company, but I've been interested in his DACs since purchasing his
excellent and low-cost 7520 model some years ago. I heard about his
new Bushmaster model pretty much by accident and decided to give it a
try....again it's a very low cost device, at least here in the UK
where Stanley is based. Already this device is getting a lot of very
good press.

I'd assumed it would be marginally better than the 7520. I was wrong.
This thing is in another league - I've really never heard anything
like it. I have it playing directly into a Behringer A500 power amp
and PMC speakers. They have never sounded better. Clarity like I've
never heard before - it's quite stunning.

I'd recommend any reader of this group to try to get your hands on on=

and try it out for yourselves. For more info on this unit:

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/main/main.html

Apologies if this sounds like a fanboi rave, but I just think this is
a piece of kit that warrants attention.

Rob

Some Q's for you, if you don't mind, Rob.

1) How much, in US dollars, was the Bushmaster, as delivered to you? Di=

d you
order it directly from Beresford in GB?

=A0 According to the web site....US (and other non-EU) customers avoid
the 20% VAT tax.

2) Is this unit, the TC-7530DC, made by TEC in China like Bereford's pr=

evious
DACs, the TC-7510 and TC-7520?

3) What DAC chip(s) does the TC7530 use? I find that most of the IC DAC=

chips
sound pretty much alike. The exception being the ESS SabreDAC.

4) Does it up-convert 16-bit, 44.1/48 KHz to 24/96? The website doesn't=

say.

And why, oh why do do many DAC manufacturers fail to provide either a l=

ight
or a digital display telling the user what actual sample rate the conve=

rter
has locked onto?

=A0I'd like to know what drive capability the DAC has. =A0 Having no
output buffer stage may make my passive volume control unsuitable.

The other question raised is in recommending an external DC supply
filter.
Is the internal supply filters inadequate?

ScottW

I'm using it with iTunes and Apple Lossless copies ripped from my CD
collection. Connection via optical SP/DIF from Windows 7 PC, files
stored on USB2-connected 1Tb hard drive.

Bushmaster is connected directly to the RCA inputs of a Behringer A500
power amp. I use the Behringer's potentiometers to control the output
volume - the iTunes feed to the Bushmaster is turned full up, so no
digital volume control used.

I consulted Stanley Beresford about this setup, and he uses something
similar (not a Behringer amp however), and confirmed it would work
very satisfactorily. I have had no stability problems, or problems
playing back any of my music files.

I think there is another optional power supply available from a third
party - I've seen discussions about this on the Art of Sound forum
where Stanley participates.

I think you're right about your passive power control - again I've
seen Stanley's remarks that such devices would be problematic. I also
believe he's considering a version that allows variable output.

That's about as much as I know, sorry. Perhaps I should see if
Stanley would like to participate in a discussion here, so he can
answer your questions?

Rob