Posted to rec.audio.high-end
rtweed rtweed is offline

Default New DAC well worth a listen

On Jul 8, 4:50pm, Andrew Haley
wrote:
rtweed wrote:
I've just had delivery of a Beresford Bushmaster DAC: Stanley
Beresford's latest and greatest.

Just to be clear - I have no commercial relationship with Stanley's
company, but I've been interested in his DACs since purchasing his
excellent and low-cost 7520 model some years ago.

Do you know what's in there? I looked at the web site but couldn't
find any technical info.

Andrew.

Apparently the DAC chip is a WM8524

Here's some info Stanley provided on the Art of Sound forum, cut and
pasted verbatim which may help answer your question:

"As mentioned in an earlier post, the Bushmster is based on all the
good ideas and mods of the previous designs, plus some new ones. There
are no muting relays and their driver circuits. There is also no line
output output stage. So no line output opamps and associated caps.
It's a DC line output after all so no caps in the signal path to the
output RCA sockets. There is also no variable output. The input
selector circuit has also been simplified from a multi transistor,
latching circuit, and selector diodes, to a microcontroller . And yes,
I have used SMD where possible. They proved to be far less noisy in
the TC-7510. The power supply is also far more compact due to the use
of the latest generation LDO regulators. Those things are a mere
fraction in size to the 78XX regulators that they replace.
The receiver and DAC chips are also far smaller in footprint. The
board has also been laid out so that each section is as far away as
possible from any other section. This helps to reduce the possibility
of noise bleeding into adjacent circuitry."