Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Default Class D Output Filtering

On 12/29/2010 01:08 PM, Dick Pierce wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
Yes. That high frequency square wave would dissipate maximum power
into any tweeter connected to it - even without any audio signal
present. It has to be suppressed.

Are you saying that a tweeter will have a significant mechanical
response at some 2 MHz (e.g., the SSM2301)? Otherwise, the current
and voltage will be 90 degrees out of phase and no power (or very
little) will be dissipated.

No, it won't. It will be more like 45 degrees for quite some
way above 20 kHz.

Another issue is whether distributed capacitance can have an
effect at these frequencies. I'm not usre I have any better
an answer for that than anyone else, but my suspicion is the
effect is probably not significant.

Thanks Don/Dick for this information.
--
Randy Yates % "My Shangri-la has gone away, fading like
Digital Signal Labs % the Beatles on 'Hey Jude'"