Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Cable sound. Real after all?

"Scott" wrote in message
On May 14, 2:42 pm, "Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

How am I doing so far?

Not bad but I think it is a bit more involved than how you describe.
Here is a nice little article form (gasp) Stereophile on the subject
http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/1286awsi/

In the meantime, Scott, could you please list me a couple of examples of
the
very best minimalist recordings that you have heard? I probably already
have
a lot of them.

I would start with anything on the Water Lilly label or this great
reissue on AP label.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/41...M_Vinyl_Record

OK, I have read the Atkinson article and bought the Cooder disc - the CD,
not the 45RPM vinyl record.

The article got me thinking about his remarks about the time of arrival of
the sounds to the spaced omnis being a problem. The implication is that it
would cause three "clumps" of sound rather than a smooth stereo spread. I am
working on some drawings to analyze that criticism, plus some to show my
microphone positioning scheme to get smooth imaging. I will post it on my
blog if and when I get it going officially. In the meantime, I am making
recordings with three spaced omnis that have smooth, pinpoint imaging all
across the soundstage. Arny Krueger should have one of them by now.

The Cooder recording is very good. The two stringed instruments are about 5
ft back behind the right and left speakers, the tom-tom drums half right,
and the larger drum half left, just like in the picture. There is good
depth, as always with my system, but not a lot of "hall sound" type
spaciousness.

Stan Lip****z once described Blumlein (purist) miking as equivalent to
pan-potted imaging, because of the functioning with amplitude only for the
positioning. Haven't read it for a while. "Are the Purists Wrong" is in the
title. Might be a good one to look up.

Email me your address and I can send a disc of my recording(s). It's just
middle school students, but the sound is good.

Gary Eickmeier