Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Matthew Wood[_2_] David Matthew Wood[_2_] is offline

Default Nakamichi CR 7a question

In article ,
ansermetniac wrote:

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 21:22:11 -0600, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

"ansermetniac" wrote in message
.. .
I have no motion, i.e play fast forward and reverse.. By looking at my
other deck that works , it seems that the white plastic gears are
not engaging. Is that a bad motor, a belt or somethign else

TIA

Who do you recommend to repair this?

Abbedd

I think I've heard of bad lamps causing this...

Mark Z.

Are you trying to be funny?

Abbedd

Umm... no, I don't think Mark was trying to be funny. Some decks use
lamps and light sensors to detect movement, and Nakamichi's are supposed
to stop if proper tape movement isn't detected.

In fact, the first VHS machines used incandescent lamps and light
sensors (they still do, except they use IR LEDs) for the tape-end
sensors. When these lamps burned out, which they did, the VCRs no
longer worked.