Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Best way to remove mic feedback in post?

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 10/22/2013 4:19 AM, Trevor wrote:
One nice feature of Spectral Layers is
that if you identify the hum, you can tell it to also process
harmonics.
This works better than multiple notches with line buzz that always
contains
harmonics.

Yep they usually do, but I can fine tune each notch better with a good
notch
filter IME.

I bet you really can't, but Spectral Layers is complicated enough to use
so that if you have a way that works for you, you should stick with it.
And, really, there should be no reason to fine-tune each notch. Find the
right one (usually or 120.0 Hz will be close enough) and then just use
arithmetic to set the others.

Determining frequency is the easy part with any spectrum analyser, I still
want to fine tune notch width and depth.

In Spectral Layers you can set the level below which the "harmonic finder"
will select harmonics, so if 480 Hz is below -95 dBFS, it won't include it
in the buzz "layer."

True, I obviously need more experience with Spectral Layers, but the
spectragram display already in SoundForge has allowed me to easily accertain
that for a decade or so. (and 3rd party tools before that)
But as I said, I'm all for options and new tools! One may work better for me
on one job, and the opposite for another.

Trevor.