Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

Default Best way to remove mic feedback in post?

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 17:54:30 -0400 "Mike Rivers" wrote
in article

On 10/13/2013 1:04 PM, bob wrote:
I recorded a live show where there are several instances of mic
feedbacks. I want to salvage as much as possible from those instances.

I have several audio/wave editors (adobe audition, soundbooth, audacity,
goldwave) at my disposal.

The tool for this job is a relatively new one (actually an old concept
with a new user interface) which in essence filters a defined frequency
range for a specific time period. It's usually called "spectral
equalization" and Adobe Auditon has a version of it.

You view the audio with a spectrogram display that uses color to
indicate amplitude and displays frequency as height along the vertical
axis. The horizontal axis is time. Feedback is pretty easy to see on
this dispay if you look sharp while the audio is playing. You "lasso"
the (usually bright red) blob using the mouse and press the "cut"
button. It takes a little finesse to take enough but not too much, but
with patience you should be able to clean up the recording pretty well.

Note that I said "with patience." This isn't an automatic process by any
means. You have to find the feedback and trim it out unobtrusively, but
these tools are capable of doing so much more and better than before we
had it available.

FWIW, you can increase the resolution of the spectrogram display by
right-clicking. There are 3 steps beyond the default. I guess this
reflects the fact that generating the display takes a fair amount of
computation. Right-clicking also allows selection of the range of
frequencies that is displayed - this came in handy when I was trying to
get rid of an ambulance siren in a live recording last year.