Posted to comp.compression,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Eli the Bearded Eli the Bearded is offline

Default The future of audio compression?

In comp.compression, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Ben Bradley wrote:
There's a recent story on Slashdut. A professor has done tests of
college students with MP3 of various bitrates vs. uncompressed audio,
and most students nowadays PREFER the 128k MP3 sound:

Of course, because this is what they are used to listening to.

I don't think that's self-evident. People have been upgrading to audio
formats for how long? And in many cases it was because a lot of people
thought the new format sounded better.

The problem is that we have a generation or more of people who have
never heard live acoustic music and have no idea what 'realism' is.
And if you don't have that touchstone, you can't really evaluate
anything.

Maybe, but it could just be a passing fad, like people convincing
themselves bell-bottoms look good.

Elijah
------
not everyone has the tastes of an audio engineer