Posted to comp.compression,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default The future of audio compression?

geoff wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Industrial One wrote:

What do you guys think? Will there be a successor to the current
state- of-the-art AAC codec, or do people not give a damn about
compression no more since FLACs and high-bitrate MP3s nowadays
download in less than a minute even in ****ty 3rd world countries?

I think that memory and HDs will get so big and inexpensive the we'll
can be much improved.

They already are. People still seem more impressed at the comcept of getting
10 million songs that sound like crap on their ipod that 1 million that
sound pretty bloody good.

What amuses me is if they've bothered to calculate how long it would take to
listen to them all !

Graham