Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Interesting presentation on audibility

bear wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
bear wrote:

The key conclusion that you restate above contains the keyword "unnecessarily":
"signal resolutions that probably unnecessarily exceed...limits...".

The keyword is 'probably'...it's a well-worded conclusion.

So, and equally well worded conclusion would be the converse, as long as the
word "probably" is used? I think not.

Of course not! "X is probable" does not automatically mean "its
opposite is probable too" Please! It means the converse is still
*possible*.

Clearly,
this would lead the careful reader to the conclusion that I suggest regarding
MP3 and Bose Wave radios, as they are certainly designed based on extensive
statistically valid scientific testing about what people hear or do not, right??

I dont;' know about the Bose's being so tested, but some lines of JBL

speakers are so tested. But I would hardly lump all three together.
Would you lump any technology together that is based on research into
hearing? What if the different technologies have different goals?

What if they do? The point I was making is clear, it is not useful to

change the object or subject.

*You* are the one who decided to bring up Bose Wave Radios, for some
reason.

Eg. so as not to unnescessarily exceed said "limits"? This seems to be the true
aim and intent of the "presentation" (as you call it).

Again,it's odd that you immediately start talking about MP3 and Bose radios, as if
that's what the author was advocating.

No. Not as if anything. MP3 is - as is generally used is a non loss free

medium,
and is intended as such. That is as a highly data compressed

medium that
provides the necessary utility so as to reproduce credible

sound, with data
compression.

Clearly, such a medium (using this data compression) is designed and intended to
meet the "center" of the 'bell curve' of "audibility" not to push beyond the
thresholds of audibility.

Why, then, have MP3 codec developers put so much work into making the
codec 'transparent'? Which, btw, they have succeeded in doing, to a very
large extent.

MP3, for a fact, *can* be transparent compared to source, to many listeners. But I doubt
Moulton is advocating their use in recording studios or as 'permanent' delivery media.

The only thing I can see Moulton saying is that he disagrees with

squeezing the maximum performance from the medium... his claim being as
I read it, that one can't hear it anyhow.

MP3s are all about the tension between 'audible quality' and 'size'. In
terms of *audibility" 'maximum performance' of a codec = transparent to
course -- which, for most people for most sources, has been achieved.
Users are free to weight that against needs for storage space. But
Moulton's article isn't about MP3s, where NO ONE disagrees that you can
make them sound audibly different from source, and NO ONE advocates using
it as a recording/archiving medium.

Your apparently endless desire to have people respond about some nebulous
"audiophile claim(s)" and supply a body of "counter evidence" appears to be a
troll for a confrontational result which I will not participate in. There is
only ONE "body of evidence." The question is what conclusions can be drawn from
the one single body of evidence extant. About that we apparently disagree.

Audiophile claims are hardly 'nebulous' in teh sense of having a wispy

existence; the claims themselves are all too real. The factual basis
of them, not so much.

Dunno what such a thing might be??

Oh, you know, science'n'stuff.

As I said, Steven, the "factual basis" is exactly the same "factual

basis" that you are fond of bandying about. The only differential is in
the conclusions drawn from the true facts.

A 'true fact'? What might that be? 'THe facts as bear sees them'? Does
that apply to silver cables too then?

That is often different than

the suggested
conclusions either published or authored by others upon

reading some sort of
paper that does contain testing or other meaningful

information...

Or, to summarize, my conclusion is that this is not a particularly

interesting presentation on audibility at all, rather a poorly written,
inconclusive, waffling and ducking piece based on the opinion of the
author. (which apparently mirrors your own?)

Slide shows tend not to be 'well written'.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason