Ranando King

Let's be perfectly honest here. All Linux distros have exactly 3 weaknesses:

1. A lack of decent, fully functional, audio content creation tools
(Talbot's complaint)
2. A lack of driver support for some cheap and/or relatively uncommon pieces
of harware (mosly because of companies being "tight-lipped" about supporting
linux)
3. A lack of support for popular commercial games (currently being solved by
the Wine package)

Fortunately, other than this, Linux Distros make for a far better OS than
any variation of Windows.
Unfortunately, people tend to care a lot about these 3 issues to some
degree, so as their skill allows, they do as they will. I dual-boot, as well
as run Windows under VMware on Linux. Others will forego Linux altogether as
Talbot did. I understand where he's comming from with the audio tools. I
still haven't found tools for Linux that work as well as CoolEdit Pro 2.0
and Cakewalk HomeStudio 2K4. Rosegarden 4 is getting close to replacing
Cakewalk, but is still requires some work. DAP can't even lay a finger on
CoolEdit Pro, so I'm still looking for a substitute on the Audio Editing and
Filtering end.

Don't be afraid to admit that Linux still needs work! Even in it's present
state, it's far better than Windows for most tasks... just not everything
yet.

R.

"Amol Vaidya" wrote in message
Didn't we just get done with this thread two minutes ago?

It's really too bad that you can't get Linux to work for you, as it is,
in my opinion, *much* better than Windows. Given, every OS has its
advantages and disadvantages, but when you match up Linux with Windows
you'll see that the advantages of Linux heavily outweigh its

disadvantages.

I find it difficult to believe that you have a hard time finding good
software on Linux, simply because there is a plethora of choices offered
to you. If you don't like something, there's always an alternative.
"Applications don't work?" On the contrary, the applications work with
far greater efficiency than I have ever seen with Windows. I believe
that statement should read, "I can't get my applications to work."

I also fail to understand how you can say that Linux is a difficult OS.
As I said before, my 11 year-old sister can use it without any
difficulty, and she's not at all computer savvy.