Talbot

Default Why I ditched Linux and Went Back To Windows XP (Don't waste your time on a Linux Studio)

I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool around
with computers. If I had a 48 track Studer in my studio I would be happy,
but I dont. I have an Intel system with a P4 3.0ghz and 2gig of memory and
plenty of hard disk space. I have an RME card which works great.

When I started my studio, my CS minor got the best of me and guided me
toward Linux because Linux is free, supposedly offers quality applications
and seemed like a good choice for a person on a budget like me.
However, I quickly learned that the cost of software was a minor point
compared to the time needed to set it up.
I really wanted Linux to work, really I did, but after 3 months of
screwing around, surfing the net, looking for help, exchanging emails with
developers and pulling my hair out I finally gave up trying to make Linux
work for me.
Sure Linux looked like the best solution to the suits paying th bills, but
for me, it was a mess.
I literally could not get anything to work consistantly with anything else.
Jack worked sometimes and refused to work other times.
Audacity clobbered some of my source files.
Ardour would all of a sudden decide I had no direct access to the sound
device and refuse to work.

Sorry but after a couple of months of that kind of crap, I gave Linux the
boot.

So now I use Windows and life is great.
I can't even begin to tell you how much of a difference there is.
Programs install and actually tell you where they are.
Programs actually work.
I don't have to end soundsystems and start other ones in order to make
stuff work.

Good bye Linux and a quick piece of advice to anyone in the biz thinking
of saving a buck, don't waste your time.