Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates[_2_] Randy Yates[_2_] is offline

Default 7.2 A/V _Preamp_

Trevor writes:

On 28/10/2017 10:30 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
PS: One big issue in basing it on a PC is the ability to play new BluRay
DVDs and the copy protection is a real bear to get around.

A potential way around that is to buy an HDMI input card, then transcode
to the system HDMI output. But then the HDCP copy protection revision of
the input card becomes an issue.

Can you just rip the Bluray to hard drive and remove the copy
protection using something like DVDFab, like you can for DVD?

Hi Trevor,

First note that I'll be using linux. I don't think DVDFab will
run under linux.

Also note that I don't need to do anything special for DVDs - opensource
apps like vlc play them just fine without any messing with.

Apparently the Blu-ray DRM is more advanced and changes, making it more
difficult to "crack." I read some about it here but admit it still seems
quite mysterious:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blu-ray
--
Randy Yates, DSP/Embedded Firmware Developer
Digital Signal Labs