Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

Default PCM Stereo or DTS HELP

On 27/12/2015 4:19 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 17:17:23 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
Julian Macassey wrote:

Choose Stereo good for people with two ears.

5.1 and 7.1 don't downmix to stereo well.

5.1 and 7.1 don't give you what it says on the tin unless
you have decent (not little box) speakers and you place the
listeners in the middle, which is not what I tend to see when I
visit homes that have the whole "Home theater" set up.

Stero works well in less ideal conditions, using decent
speakers placed well. But, your friends may sneer at you.

I predict we will soon have 9.1, speakers added the way
razor manufacturers stack blades. One blade will shave hair, but
two are twice as good. I note I can if I desire buy a six blade
razor, of course it costs more than a single blade razor, but it
does have six blades.

Just "8" should do it for 360°. Add a ".1" if other speakers have little
bass. And another "1" for soundtrack to cope with soundtracks with a
centre channel.

Just "2" does it for me.

geoff