Posted to rec.audio.tech
isw isw is offline

Default Best RCA jacks, price/performance

Chris:

Regarding RCA-males(the actual connector), I've always considered this:
http://www.av-iq.com/avcat/images/pr...20Connector.jp
g higher quality, and

The "high quality" one (or similar "machined" ones I've used) can be a
combination of so stiff and not springy that it's either too tight or
too loose, so it's difficult to get a good connection. And if it's loose
and you try to bend in the "flags" to tighten it, you can easily crush
the outer ring. Basically, they're made out of the wrong kind of metal.

this: http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_216717_3.jpg cheap!
Look at the shield, half the connecting area of the first example.

Yes, but it goes over a socket that is a continuous ring, so the gaps
just don't matter. Plus, the stamped metal type is far more likely to
have a bit of springiness, which makes for a nice, tight connection.

Isaac