Posted to rec.audio.tech
whosbest54[_3_] whosbest54[_3_] is offline

Default DVD/VHS combo

In article ,
says...
Is this a safe bet for someone without a lot of bux to waste?

I was going to get separate ones, as I am always concerned about losing the
whole enchilada if one part goes out.

But I saw some "reassuring" sites, so thought I would check with you experts.

Many thanks for help and/or referrals.

Hypatia

If you want to buy new, then if you need VHS presumably to play tapes you have,
then I don't even think separate VHS VCRs are made anymore, they are only part
of combo units for the most part now. You certainly could find used VCRs.

From what I've seen the most common combo units aren't of the highest quality,
but they'll do for casual playback of tapes, DVDs and audio CDs. Something
around the $100 range is OK. I have a Toshiba combo that has worked fine for
years.

I agree with another poster that for new physical media a Blu-Ray player is
also the way to go these days provided you have a HDTV with a HDMI input.

If you want to record off the air, there are DVD recorders and a few combo
units with built in digital tuners. Most folks are using DVRs for that these
days.

whosbest54

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

If the pages time out, try whosbest54.netau.net in
a site unblocker proxy like: http://www.site2unblock.com