Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default DVD/VHS combo

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015, wrote:

Is this a safe bet for someone without a lot of bux to waste?

I was going to get separate ones, as I am always concerned about losing
the whole enchilada if one part goes out.

But I saw some "reassuring" sites, so thought I would check with you
experts.

I've found a few, lying on the sidewalk. They seemed to work when I
brought them home, but I didn't run them extensively.

But why?

The blu-ray player I found on the sidewalk works fine after I cleaned the
lens, and that's the future. It can play DVDs, but also blu-ray, so when
I find the latter at book sales and garage sales (now they are getting
cheap), I have the capacity to play them. I was able to get the Indiana
Jones films on blu-ray at Christmas for five dollars each, since I only
had them on VHS (bought used) this was a step up. I couldn't get them on
DVD for less.

But ever since I got a DVD player in late 2003, I actually started buying
VHS movies. I'd never had a VCR, but having the DVD player made me notice
pre-recorded movies, and I saw that VHS was being sold cheap. So I got a
VCR at a garage sale ($20 in a box with remote and manual) and that's
still working fine. I've brought home some found on the sidewalk waiting
for the garbage truck VCRs as backups, for one the "good" one fails. I'm
sure you can find them cheap at garage sales and rummage sales.

For that matter, it's now easy to find DVD players waiting for the
garbage, and they generally work. Discards because people wanted blu-ray
players, I assume. So look around, you can probably get a VCR and a DVD
player used for less than the price of a VCR-DVD player combo, and likely
a better quality too.

Michael