Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default What's with all these new SIXohm Stereo Speakers coming out?!

"geoff" wrote in message
On 10/12/2014 1:19 a.m., wrote:
geoff wrote: "- show quoted text -
No. 4 or 8 are the common specs, but the spec is for the minimum load
impedance, so ann amp specced at 8 ohms *may* have trouble with a 6 ohm
load on peaks, but a 4 ohm output won't have any problem at all..

And 16 doesn't matter - if your amp will do the lower ones, it'll be
just fine with a lesser load (= higher Z).

geoff "

So you're saying that I can safely hook up speakers with a 4ohm sticker
on the back to my 8-16ohm receiver, but not a 6ohm. Clear as mud to me,
but I'll trust you on this.

Clearly "clear as mud".

NO. You should not hook up a speaker with a lower Z than your amp is
specified to drive. Higher Zs are no problem.

geoff

In my experience the manufacturers are simply trying to reduce the number of
warranty repairs to some extent by specifying the higher resistance. In
truth, with a bit of common sense applied at the volume control side of the
equation, a four-ohm speaker will work just fine with any solid state amp or
surround receiver of even minimal quality, such as Pioneer, Sony, Marantz,
Denon, Kenwood, etc PROVIDED as I say, some common sense is used and the
user isn't trying to use the thing as a sort of mini-PA system.

Problem is, people connect all sorts of speakers, even for example car
stereo speakers wired in unusual, often incompetent ways, then expect to be
able to blast away for hours on end.

Yamaha, for example, knows full well that one of their power transformers
will not have a failed thermal fuse in the power transformer in the absence
of customer abuse - playing the thing at a very high level, probably with
low impedance speakers (or combinations of speakers) for an hour or two more
or less continuous.

Therefore, they will only cover ONE power transformer under warranty. The
warranty servicer is expected to educate the customer that a second
transformer won't be covered.

In fact, the newest Yamaha's will "rat out" the user by recording how high
the volume was for more than one minute and how many times. This info is
accessible in the service menu.

Mark Z.