Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Question on the Type of Wood Used in Speaker Construction and Effect on Sound

"Trevor" skrev i en meddelelse

MDF is the best for creating acoustical energy in any room

What a stupid statement. VERY few musical instruments use MDF, (when was
the last time you saw a Piano made from MDF?) and even many good speaker
boxes use plywood rather than MDF.
In any case the sound from a speaker should come from the cone, not the
box, and apart from it's obvious drawbacks, concrete is far better than
MDF for speakers, so MDF can hardly be "best" for anything.

Acceptable, perhaps.

No, it can not be said like that. It is not a rigid material, so it becomes
very much a matter of how the box is braced. The "best material" is quite
likely to be a composite structure.

Example: Briggs "Loudspeakers" has as an example of a good construction
concept a corner bass reflex box built of bricks and mortar with a 12"
loudspeaker mounted on a plywood panel for ease of fitting. It is many ears
ago I borrowed the book from Duelund and read it, but I tend to think that
Briggs expressed preference for bricks and mortar over concrete.

Trevor

Kind regards

Peter Larsen