Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default Plug And Jack Dimensions On Headphones ?

On Monday, June 9, 2014 6:49:34 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Hello,

My son just bought a new pair of Bose Headphones, the "SoundTrue" model.

Their .pdf manual says the Plug is 3.5 mm and also 1/8 inch.

Obviously, it can't be both, as their is a "meaningful" diameter

difference (0.0057) beteen these two dimensions.

I used to remember that there was always a bit of a problem, as some

Plugs that mfg's used were 1/8 inch, and some were 3.0 mm (not 3.5 mm).

The reason I'm asking is that when he plugs it into our (old CRT style)

Panasonic TV audio output Plug, it wiggles a lot and does not make good

contact.

Can someone who is a lot more knowledgeable about these kinda plugs and

jacks perhaps straighten us out on all of this. (are there adapters ?)

Also, the Plug seems to have 4 electrical sections.

Have never seen one with more than 3.

What are (each) of them for, please ? Diagram anywhere ?

Would be most appreciative for your help.

Thank you very much,

Bob

---

I'm thinking the problem is you have a fairly worn jack in your old crt tv. They fail fairly commonly. I've had to replace a few in ipods and such.