Posted to rec.audio.tech
whosbest54[_3_] whosbest54[_3_] is offline

Default Plug And Jack Dimensions On Headphones ?

In article , lid says...
Hello,

My son just bought a new pair of Bose Headphones, the "SoundTrue" model.

Their .pdf manual says the Plug is 3.5 mm and also 1/8 inch.
Obviously, it can't be both, as their is a "meaningful" diameter
difference (0.0057) beteen these two dimensions.

I used to remember that there was always a bit of a problem, as some
Plugs that mfg's used were 1/8 inch, and some were 3.0 mm (not 3.5 mm).

The reason I'm asking is that when he plugs it into our (old CRT style)
Panasonic TV audio output Plug, it wiggles a lot and does not make good
contact.

Can someone who is a lot more knowledgeable about these kinda plugs and
jacks perhaps straighten us out on all of this. (are there adapters ?)

Also, the Plug seems to have 4 electrical sections.
Have never seen one with more than 3.
What are (each) of them for, please ? Diagram anywhere ?

Would be most appreciative for your help.

Thank you very much,
Bob

It appears to be this model:

http://www.bose.com/controller?
url=/shop_online/headphones/ae_and_oe_headphones/soundtrue_headphones/index.jsp
&Variant=soundtrue_ae_headphones

It appears to have the ability to add a microphone or it may come with one
built in somewhere. The FAQ tab says it will work with Apple products. So, I
believe it has a 4 conductor TRRS plug so it can carry the mic and stereo
headphone signals. It appears it has a CTIA TRRS plug that works with Apple
and Nokia, among others.

This Wikipedia article outlines the TRRS standard for the 4 condutor plug you
describe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_c...TRRS_standards

It may not be designed to work well with a standard 3 conductor plug like your
CRT set has. Perhaps an adaptor will help. For example:

http://www.scansound.com/index.php/3...-3-pin-male-3-
5mm-trs-adapter.html

whosbest54

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

If the pages time out, try whosbest54.netau.net in
a site unblocker proxy like: http://www.site2unblock.com