Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Plug And Jack Dimensions On Headphones ?

"Bob" wrote in message
My son just bought a new pair of Bose Headphones, the "SoundTrue" model.
Their .pdf manual says the Plug is 3.5 mm and also 1/8 inch.
Obviously, it can't be both, as their is a "meaningful" diameter
difference (0.0057) beteen these two dimensions.

Actually they can, since they simply rely on the socket spring contacts
bending in or out a little. They are definitely NOT precision connectors.

I used to remember that there was always a bit of a problem, as some Plugs
that mfg's used were 1/8 inch, and some were 3.0 mm (not 3.5 mm).
The reason I'm asking is that when he plugs it into our (old CRT style)
Panasonic TV audio output Plug, it wiggles a lot and does not make good
contact.

A pretty common problem, especially when the sockets have had a fair bit of
use.

Can someone who is a lot more knowledgeable about these kinda plugs and
jacks perhaps straighten us out on all of this. (are there adapters ?)

Also, the Plug seems to have 4 electrical sections.
Have never seen one with more than 3.

They have been used in video camera's for *many* years, and headsets that
have both stereo audio and microphone connections.

What are (each) of them for, please ? Diagram anywhere ?

That would depend on the actual device. Apple for a start use different
connections than most others. I have no idea what Bose have done in this
case, but the info should be available somewhere.

Trevor.