Sam Byrams

Default Dick Pierce on Altec, or MM?

In some cases we have. In others, we-actually "youse" since I don't
design speakers-have ****ed up really badly. FWIW not many people are
still mixing down or mastering on 604s, although several speakers are
in use the Genelec seems dominant.

If you think the mastering world consists of either 604s or Genelecs,
you ARE woefully out of touch.

What are the more popular mastering systems now? Who ( just a few
names) is using what?

Are the active Genelecs bad
speakers? No. If you listen to a Jimi Hendrix record on Genelecs or on
604s, which is more likely to replicate what Eddie Kramer-or whoever
mixed it down in 1969-heard in the room back then?

If they used 604s in comething like UREI cabinets, then we can say
for certain, they heard something with a seriously bloated, woefully
underdamped, highly-distorted bottom end, a major midrange suckout as
that 15" struggled mightly to keep up with a tweeter that had a
monster peak at about 9 kHz and little above that.

Well may have!

Indeed. I would respectfully point out you are ignorant of the vast
majority of imformation about the last 60 years of loudspeaker
research and technology, and you allowed what was left be colored by
a preference for what is one of the poorer examples of loudspeaker
design in the last half century, taken in any reasonably modern context.

My rant was, and is, not against modern speaker design
per se but more against the corporate behavior of those who gave the
604 the Nembutal enema. Good or not, people wanted it,

No, SOME people wanted. Not anywhere near enough to justify keeping
an inefficient, difficult-to-manage and money-losing manufacturing
line going. If you think there was ANY prayer ofthe product generating
a product, do you think ANY bean counter would kill it?

Assuming you meant "product generating a profit"-yes, I do,
absolutely, which is what I said. Unless the product is generating SO
MUCH net spendable as to make it politically unassailable, the small
cash cows are vulnerable not to accountants per se, but accountants
made managers, who then have to "make their bones". I said that as
clearly as I could, in fact. Ask Arctic users of Spilsbury HF radios,
or vintage motorcycle racers running Castrol R.

They're not going to keep making them to do some tiny handful of people
a favor.

just as WE
willfully farted in the face of the Japanese who worship the 300B
triode and were willing to pay ridiculous sums for them.

As well we should. Have you any clue what the total annualized sales
of SE triode amplifiers are world-wide? Frankly, that fart is far more
substantial.

Probably the market from Japanese audiophiles for the 300B was ten
times or more larger than the existing market, which apparently had
been a few foreign phone exchanges and, bizarrely, NASA. In fact I
sort of suspect the prospect of newly rejuvenated sales to the
vintage/cult audio market was a prime factor in the Lee's Summit tube
line being shut down when it was. A cash cow that management didn't
come up with in the first place is destabilizing, particularly in the
very corporate environment that Deming, a prime contributor to the
Japanese audio cult mentality, engineered in the first place! (One
supplier for any given class of product, and all that.)