Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,rec.audio.tech
Arlen Holder Arlen   Holder is offline

Default Typical first pass tutorial process on Windows 10 where NONE of the extent how to articles actually tell you what you really need to do!

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 21:36:53 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus wrote:

For me it says ALSA, on a Linux Mint system.
It is a MBoard sound card.

Maybe it has more to do windows10 by default making it difficult to use
Audacity.

I think I agree with you that two things made it harder for me
1. The later Windows 10 versions turn off the ADC audio access by default
2. Not a single tutorial mentioned that this was happening

Luckily, the error message was seen by many others in the past
o So googling for the error helped me solve the problem

The good news is that by reporting that, I saved others the hassle.
o The bad news is I'm not sure how useful this capability is.

I mean, for YouTube, it's far easier to download the audio separately:
o youtube-dl.exe -f 140 https://youtu.be/HotLmqYFKKg

Where this capability of Audacity to convert streaming audio to an MP3 file
may come in handy might be for _other_ streaming audio needs, outside of
YouTube (since YouTube already has its very own well-honed downloader).

What _other_ uses (than YouTube) do folks see for this Audacity capability?