Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Edmund[_2_] Edmund[_2_] is offline

Default SACD vs SACD or DVD Audio player

"Arny Krueger" schreef in bericht
"Edmund" wrote in message

I find it very strange but I heard differences between
different SACD players. I would think that the specs of
SACD players are way above anything I could hear and
therefore I did expect to hear any differences at all.

Sighted, non level matched, non time synched evaluation, right?

Right! :-) This is always the case to get a first impression for all my
audio gear.

If you listen to different music at different sound levels, it will of
course sound different. If it doesn't, something is sooo wrong. ;-)

One installation with two SACD players and the same SACD.

99% of all audiophile so-called listening tests are done this way. They
are
thus pretty much meaningless, if the area of discussion is technical
performance.

Now I am curious about others, does any of you have a
similar experience and what was the best player you have
heard?

All the good ones pretty much sound the same. SACD is an interesting
technical spec. Yes, there's more than enough bandwidth and dynamic range.
But the same is true of the original CD spec. I think that if you ever did
listening test with truly matched levels and truly time-synchronized
music,
you will probably have an epiphany. Add in good bias controls, and just
about everybody is totally lost when it comes to hearing differences among
even moderately good players.

I read some interesting stuff about the CD format with simulations of
signals
and the CD format doesn't seem so perfect at all.
But the SACD should be so much better, strange that - I have the
impression -
one sounds better then the other. I even wonder if one brand is cheating
somehow.

IOW you are right. Paraphrasing what you wrote, you should think that the
specs of good SACD (and CD) players are way above anything anybody can
hear.
Therefore nobody should expect to hear any differences at all. However,
hope
springs eternal. Many have tried to disprove it, and everybody to date has
failed.

I know, interesting I heard some people in the AES are suggesting another
SACD vs CD test with speakers and amplifiers that should be able to
make the differences audible. I hope they will do this test I am very
curious about the outcome.

Edmund