Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Mackie 32-8-2 mixer

On 10/2/2018 10:48 PM, Joseph wrote:
for a little more (around $450) I could pick up the 1640i Firewire 16 Channel Mackie Onyx.A 16 channel console seems about right, 32 seems like overkill for my purposes.You recommend the Onyx?

I have an Onyx 1640i along side my Soundcraft 600 and I actually use the
Mackie more than the Soundcraft these days, but that's mostly because of
the Soundcraft's age and the noisy pots and switches that go along with
the age. But I use a Mackie hard disk recorder more than I use a DAW for
recording, and I appreciate the Soundcraft's metering and routing that
are lacking on the Mackie.

When using the Firewire I/O on the Mackie (the converters are a good
match for the rest of the mixer) and a DAW program, it can almost work
like an in-line console for tracking, but still, I'd rather use the
Soundcraft.

My Soundcraft and the Mackie 8-bus are sort of contemporaries. I chose
the Soundcraft because at the time I had a recording truck and other
engineers were using it, not just me. I figured that buying a Soundcraft
was kind of like buying a Toyota - nobody would complain about it
because of what they thought of Mackie. It served me well, but now it's
more than 30 years old and, sadly, hasn't reached "desirable vintage"
status - so it's worth about as much today as a Mackie 8-bus.