Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joseph[_10_] Joseph[_10_] is offline

Default Mackie 32-8-2 mixer

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 7:07:45 PM UTC-7, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/2/2018 9:53 PM, Joseph wrote:
I have a chance to buy one for $300, but I've read that the pres and the eq are pretty bad.Is this true? What would be a good alternative?

What do you want for $300? A good alternative would be an API 3208. I
think it's about $45,000. Just be sure that you get the power supply and
multi-conductor power cable with it.

Lots of good music that you've never heard has been recorded on Mackie
8-bus consoles. You have to watch the internal levels because they
didn't really have the gain structure to support full levels all the way
through. And it's really a multitrack recording console, something that
you don't find on the shelf these days, at least not for a home studio
price.

The preamp circuit in the 8-bus is almost identical to their Onyx, which
they used in their premium line of mixers for many years. It's pretty
good for a no-character preamp. You have to pay extra for classic
distortion.

Speaking of the Onyx, for a little more (around $450) I could pick up the 1640i Firewire 16 Channel Mackie Onyx.A 16 channel console seems about right, 32 seems like overkill for my purposes.You recommend the Onyx?