Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Used 8/16-track tape recorders

D.M. Procida wrote:

Having held up the recording process with one botched take after
another, with several other people anxious to move on to the next stage,
I missed the few moments that rewinding the tape used to give me to
recompose myself. Instead, within seconds, I'd hear a voice saying "OK,
ready to take that again". Under those circumstances, I didn't find it
easy to hold things up further by asking for more time.

This is where the skills of a producer enter (or not). A producer can
figure out how an artist likes to work, and manage sessions accordingly.

Many session players missed that bit of refelective time during tape
rewinding. It was part of the rhythm of a session and we had bercome
habituated to it.

Eventually the immediacy of digital "rewind" became second nature, and
players became as comfortable with it as they would be facing the next
measure of the song, had no one botched it.

Much of this comes down to experience and the time needed to gain it.

I really think what you want is an Alesis HD24 - it's reasonably
affordable and works like a tape deck.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar