Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Used 8/16-track tape recorders

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 21:25:27 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

Human beans interact with the world in amazingly diverse ways,
is all I'm saying.

No question. But complaining that instantaneous rewind compels
one to immediately press the play button is a specious argument.

Can't agree here, but no matter.

Maybe I really should make my rack-mount mechanical tape deck
simulator with spinning 10.5 inch reels connected to the command
functions of your favorite digital recorder (or DAW). I can even
offer programmable rewind time (and braking time and overshoot
for good measure :-)

Maybe I could even throw in a function to "run out of tape" at a
random moment. And degrade the audio quality if you don't
spend at least 15 minutes per day tweaking little screws :-))

Arf! But you've only included the sticks, and not any carrots.
Maybe the fundamental difference in our viewpoints is the very
existence of the carrots - both are IMO possibly valid viewpoints...

Here's my last (I promise!) attempt at a parallel/analogy:

Right now my old cat Silverton is sitting on me. If I'm home and
sit down for more than a minute, he sits on me. He sleeps tucked
up under my chin, and although currently down to only six and a
half pounds (from his prime of about 14), none of the other cats
dare mess with him.

Can somebody design me a simulator for Silverton, who I'll almost
certainly outlive? Because I surer'n **** won't want to live without
him.

A silly, extreme exaggeration?, yes of course, but a more complete
model, I submit. Why shouldn't the touchy-feelie of *everything*
be considered important? Why should the non-Human-Bean, robotic
aspects of the mechanical world be the only important parts? I say:
Bah Humbug!

Too much of a much of course. But much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck