Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Tap Dancers

On 2011-05-23 said:
Mike Rivers writes:
No, you won't, since the dancers tend to move around a lot,
and you want to put the mics where they won't get kicked.
Irish step dancers always used to ask, no, demand, that
there be a mic for their feet. I humor them, set something
up, and don't use it in the house but will put it in the
monitor so they'll know that it's live.
I feel like telling them that if that's what they want the
audience to hear, they should hire a drummer.

rotfl I get the same feeling when I've been asked.

I'm aware that there are shows where the dancers' feet are
an essential element of sound design. For those, the dancers
usually wear a wireless transmitter and have mics attached
to their ankles. But that's out of my league.

INdeed, but these were amateurs I was working with, at a
performing arts center. I found pzm's would work, but note
the caveats about resonant stages expressed earlier in this
thread.

At this performing arts center (converted barn was a bar &
restaurant, then other things, then performing arts center)
there was a cement platform which was under the stage. I
used some cloth bags filled with sand between the support
beams for the actual floor of the stage on this cement
platform, and did more bags of sand inside the drum riser we
built to keep it from resonating. WHen we had folks doing
the tap thing I'd get them to use the drum riser, which was
rather large, and mount a couple of pzm's to the platform.
Because it didn't resonate and turn the "tap" into thuyd
boom it seemed to work, but then I didn't use a lot of it,
keep the music to sensible levels in the monitors and mains.

Also note that the mains were far enough removed from the
pzm's that there wasn't a problem.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see www.gatasound.com